Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it...

Subject: Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:47:48 -0700
I just put a roll of junk film in an OM-4 and tried it. The upper and lower sprockets both drive the film and appear to be locked together. The take-up spool also rotates with them, but does have a clutch, as it must. The clutch is needed since the diameter of the film spooled on it varies over the length of the roll. If the lower sprocket is not driving the film, you have a problem. You might want to check the rewind button. It should pop right back up as soon as the shutter is wound for the first shot after it is pushed down. When it is down, the wind mechanism is disconnected from the drive sprockets so the film can be rewound. If it has had something sticky fall on it, been hit and bent, or some such, and doesn't pop back up, the film won't advance.

Moose

Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

As suspected it hadn't been winding.  Boo-hoo!  The leader was in the
take-up spool OK, but the film was not advanced far enough to get the top
sprockets into engagement (only the bottom sprockets).

  Question to experts:  Is it only the top sprockets that do the pulling
  through the camera?  Do the bottom sprockets and take-up reel do nothing
  or is there a clutch that is slipping too much in my camera?  (3 years
  since last CLA)