Re: [OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photograp

Subject: Re: [OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photography)
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 23:55:32 -0700
on 9/15/02 3:52 PM, Thomas Heide Clausen at T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Actually, I have been wondering what a foil imprinter is?
> Anyone care to enlighten me? I assume it is something to
> allow writing on the image surface of a print, but any
> details? Would be interresting...

A 'foil imprinter' is a device that uses a impression die, usually heated,
and "hot-stamp foil" which is like very thin aluminum foil with a
heat-bonding adhesive on the back. This usually comes in rolls. In use, you
would place the print in a device and 'stamp' it with your hot die. Where
the die presses the foil into the print, the adhesive sticks the foil to the
print surface. Then you pull away the excess foil, and you have a stamped
foil imprint on the face of the print that says "PROOF ONLY" and your logo,
or copyright notice or such. Makes scanning and duplicating more difficult.
Hot-stamping is a common process for adding numbers and artwork onto plastic
pieces (along with pad printing). The foils come in many metallic and normal
colors, black, white, etc.

I like the idea of adding grid lines in Photoshop for the proofs... calling
them "proof lines" is a stroke of genius. Give them a little look that says
'I can't believe -you- don't know what those are...' and then tell them. Of
course this won't work for a non-digitized proof.
--

Jim Brokaw