[OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photography)

Subject: [OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photography)
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:13:32 GMT
Cc:
>Go to his website and you'll get a better idea where this yuk
>is coming from -- we're talking "nerd to the geek power" here!
>I wonder how he would feel if, after devoting years of his life
>learning and developing his talent, then creating code for an
>innovative, remarkable new program, someone pirated it and gave
>it out free for the asking?  I doubt he'd be a programmer for
>long!  That, or he'd have to work part-time at McDonald's to
>pay his rent!

This is the same situation with Napster and the clones of it.
I never understood how these geeksters could think that someone
else's product, music in this case, should be free merely
because it is now digitally transferable.

>I've long contemplated buying a "foil imprinter" to print my
>copywrite on my final images, but reading this fellow's tripe
>has iced the (wedding) cake -- I'm going to finally get one.

Whatever you do, please post your solution.  A low-tech solution
would be to acquire a train conductor's punch, and then punch a
few strategically placed holes in the proofs.

>Proofs will either be lo-res for the customer, hi-res that I
>keep and never allow out of my posession, or on-line with
>scanned-in copywrite/logos all over.

I'm still new here, but lo-res is only applicable for digital,
right?  There's no way to print lo-res from film, is there?

>That, or it's "work for hire", for which you pay big time!

Your contract could state that you work on an hourly basis,
and the results of your work, whether negatives or digital
images, would be handed to the customer at the end.  Of course,
this would not work for a pro who owns his own darkroom, but it
could work for someone who always brings his negatives and/or
memory cards to a pro lab for printing.  However, since I've
never earned a dime for any photos, I have no idea if this is
practical.

Pete