Re: [OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photogra

Subject: Re: [OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photography)
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:03:43 -0500
Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:

> Okie, I have to voice in now. I am one of the "geeksters",
> as you kindly call the members of my profession....

Are you the sort of person I was referring to when I called the writer a
"nerd to the geek power"?  I doubt it!

First, "nerds", "geeks" and "wonks" can be found in every endeavor, not
just programming.  I'll admit it, I'm an Olympus nerd, or geek or wonk,
or whatever!  It really doesn't matter what this fellow does with his
time (programming, or fly-fishing), my point was that he is so immersed
in his own limited reality (i.e., being a "nerd to the geek power") that
he has ceased being unable to rationally consider or understand why
circumstances exist that displease him, or cost him added expense.

He apparently believes that all he's buying when he hires a professional
image-maker is data -- and data is data to him.  That's the error in his
thinking -- just because something can be _rendered_ as data doesn't
mean it _is_ only data.  He is buying a myriad of things, both tangible
and intangible.  He may be unable to recognize this, so it's left to
those who understand the wider reality to explain the error of his
reasoning.

Oh, yes -- Olympus content?  When I shoot studio work, it's almost
always with an OM-1, FP sync disabled.  Weddings?  An OM-4t with T-32's,
one on top, another on a Power Bounce Grip 2!