Re: [OM] Photoshop?

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoshop?
From: "Mickey Trageser" <vze3m2s8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:20:11 -0400
VueScan has the ability to use the available IR channel much like Digital
Ice, but not using the DI proprietary software. This is not the same as
softening methods. The IR method can be very accurate in locating dust and
other surface anomolies. I have used software-only dust and scratch in
Paperport, Corel PhotoPaint and others that removed buttons, hair wisps,
birds, airplanes etc. The IR channel based cleanup won't do that. There are
better software methods now that don't rely on softening to obscure minor
marks, but without the IR channel they cannot distinguish between dust on
the surface and small features in the photo. For this sort of editing, you
must be the final judge. Without applying your own good discretion, Aunt
Irma might lose an eye!

I like Digital Ice on my Scanwit, but it does take added time to scan and
process. I find that for light cleanup work, cloning is quick and effective.
The best approach is to make sure the neg or slide is clean before scanning.
Use canned air to get the dust off and you'll have a better baseline to
start with. Depending on the purpose of the scan, you may not have to touch
it up at all, or to varying degrees. For making HQ prints, you will of
course use every tool available to eliminate dust etc from the final
product.

Mickey

.