[OM] F280/OM4t question

Subject: [OM] F280/OM4t question
From: "Robert Swier" <rswier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:12:14 -0400
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I recently got an F280 for my OM4t. Here
are two issues that have come up so far:

1) Is there an error in the f280 manual? On page 47 there are some FAQs, and
one reads as follows:

Q: When used with the OM-4Ti (OM-4T) in the AUTO mode, what happens if a
shutter speed slower than 1/60 sec. is used with a Super FP Flash mode?

A: Under those conditions, the shutter will not in fact release. If you wish
to use a speed slower than 1/60 sec. in the Super FP Flash mode, put the
camera into the MANUAL mode.

It appears to me that the shutter *will* release, and the flash will fire,
whenever the flash is in Super FP mode. This included instances when the
camera is in AUTO and the light meter thinks the correct shutter speed is
slower than 1/60 second. Can someone confirm this?  It also appears that
when the flash is in NORMAL mode, and the camera is in AUTO mode, the flash
won't fire if the shutter speed will be faster than 1/60 sec. And if the
camera is in MANUAL mode, while the flash is in NORMAL mode, the shutter
will release regardless of the shutter speed.

My other question is this: When a shutter speed of 1/60 or longer is
selected, the flash can be used in Super FP (if the camera is in MANUAL) or
NORMAL (if the camera is in AUTO, as suggested in the instructions). What,
actually, is the difference? I guess the best way to say it is:

Given a shutter speed of 1/60 or slower, what's the difference between the
following:
flash = Super FP
camera = MANUAL

flash = NORMAL