Re: [OM] HELP: Horribly scratched slides and negatives!

Subject: Re: [OM] HELP: Horribly scratched slides and negatives!
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:51:05 -0400
A projected slide that shows a white scratch is indeed showing damage so
gross that the emulsion is gone.  Unless someone ground sand into the film
cartridge's lips before exposing, this happened in the lab.

In my experience, a mini-lab's drier is a very, very dangerous place.

(The kind I don't trust is where they tape your film to a flexible plastic
card.  At the slightest provocation, the card stops dead, then a teenager
rips your film out of the drier, gouging it.  Then they load another order
because they don't have permission to call a mechanic.  Whew!  Rant off!)

When I worked in the C-41 processing department at the big Qualex lab in
Cincinnati, we had many, many nights when zero rolls were damaged out of
15,000 rolls.  That's safe.  Unless you don't need it in an hour, I suggest,
no, I implore you, to use a pro lab or to have it sent out to a big lab.

Lama

From: "Mark Dapoz" <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>