Re: [OM] HELP: Horribly scratched slides and negatives!

Subject: Re: [OM] HELP: Horribly scratched slides and negatives!
From: "--p.j." <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:46:47 -0400
Okay, here is some more info and another photo.  First, here is the link:
http://www.lunarpages.com/johnsonpa/scratches01.jpg

    I'm going to let my ignorance show through so I can get this annoying
problem resolved :-)
When looking at the slide on a light table (in the orientation of the
original subject), the scratches are on the side facing me.  Is that the
emulsion side?

Again, they are black on the monitor but white on the slide.  If, for
example, I look at the slide with a dark background but lit well from the
light table, the scratches are definitely white.

I've checked my slides and this problem is not altogether new.  I always use
the same processor, except for my kodachromes.  None of my kodachromes have
scratches that I have checked.  Then again, not all of my slides from this
processor have scratches.  I checked their literature, and they use a
KREONITE roller transport machine.  I don't take a lot of prints anymore,
but I checked some recent negatives and did not notice any marks (different
processor).

I checked the camera, and the inside was a little dusty.  I did just come
from a sandy, salty environment, but there is not a sandbox in my camera :-)

Lastly, I've been a slacker about keeping notes lately and have been using
my 4T almost exclusively, so I can't say that my other bodies are causing
the same problem.  I'll run a few rolls through another camera body next
time I'm out.

So where does that leave me?  What part of the camera should I be especially
keen on checking: pressure plate, roller, film take-up area?  If it is my
processor, where should I go?  I take my film to the local 'pro' lab?  Does
anybody use AI mailers through B&H?

Thanks to all for their help.
Once I get this problem solved, I need to learn how to 1) use my film
scanner better (ArtixScan 4000) and 2) find a way to get rid of those nasty
scratches after/during scanning.

--p.j.