Re: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:11:57 +0000
At 20:59 1/25/02, Charlie Geilfuss wrote:

The sheer volume of images was overwhelming. The poor bride and family members are not too happy with having to view images on a computer and would much rather have a "proof book" to pass around. My own bias is that the vast majority of images were grab shots taken with little thought of composition or art.
 Thoughts or comments?

In a different thread . . . a while back . . . someone posted a trade publication quote about how many billions of images were made using digital over the previous year. The implication was digital is totally overwhelming film. I don't believe so. Someone else, a while back, in yet another thread, cited how medium format slows down the entire process of making a photograph, the result being more care taken with each one.

Now "connect the dots." The cost of making yet one more image is near zero. The guy in the office next to me says he uses his almost like a movie camera and tosses well over 950f the images; he perceives it as a slot machine. Sooner or later he gets a winner by sheer volume. This is the "brute force and ignorance" method which I suspect will become the norm, not the exception.

One of my pet "rants" concerns "digital books," especially manuals and reference material. One of their great failings is inability to easily move from one section to another widely separated one. Although indices and hyperlinks are getting better, they're still geared for serial consumption, page by plodding page (think: computer tape drive and squential block file management). The bride and her family members are feeling a similar frustration, exacerbated by the time required to switch from one image to the next. It is imminently *faster* to thumb through a book, especially when the user is familiar with it and can look at the edge and estimate how far through it to start access. Several widely separated portions can be viewed and compared *much* faster (think: computer disk drive and random block file management), and it can be passed around a group more easily. I have little doubt this is a major part of the bride's, groom's and their families' frustrations.

It's impossible to tell how sharp the image really with digitized images set up for screen resolution. This makes it impossible to determine if the photograph is suitable for large enlargement. One of the many reasons I use transparency and a projector with an excellent lens. I can immediately tell if a tranny is up to being greatly enlarged. Furthermore, I can also set several slides of the same subject in adjacent tray slots and switch between them very rapidly for detail comparison.

Just some random access thoughts . . .
-- John