[OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography
From: "Charles Geilfuss" <cgeilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:59:49 +0000

Greetings All,
I attended the wedding of a friend recently and was pretty surprised about the photograghy situation. The wedding and reception were photograghed by a fairly well-known local professional. I didn't pay very close attention to what equipment he was using, but it seemed to be a recent model all-black rather large N*k*n. A few weeks later my friend brought by the "Proofs" for me to see. I was only moderately surprised to see he was sent a CD-ROM with the images. I was very surprised by the number of photos...close to 600 images were on the disk! All were in JPEG format each approximately 150kb in size. Clearly these image files are too small for any size prints which raises two questions: was he shooting with a N*k*n D1 and storing the full sized images on a computer (whew..must be some hard-drive) or did he shoot with film and scan the negatives? Now like I've stated, I didn't pay close attention during the ceremony but I don't recall seeing him change any film...and yes he was the only photogragher. The sheer volume of images was overwhelming. The poor bride and family members are not too happy with having to view images on a computer and would much rather have a "proof book" to pass around. My own bias is that the vast majority of images were grab shots taken with little thought of composition or art.
 Thoughts or comments?

Charlie Geilfuss
 Thoughts or comments?