[OM] Hosting eSif

Subject: [OM] Hosting eSif
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 09:26:15 +1300
Hi fellow Zuiks

I empathise with the problem but can't help with storage and bandwidth as I
have a similar problem on my own site.

I have a somewhat similar resource; A colleague (in Germany) and I have
listed all the fern species - and related data, on my website. Plus I have
forestry pages of interest to people, and other topics.

I put up some OM shots etc.

My "amateur" site on caverock ISP, consistently runs 400MB download a
month in excess of what I pay for as a base rate. It is *much more* they tell
me than any other site they host including any commercial pages.

If I had spent on Zuiko lenses and OM bodies what that site has cost me
over the last year I would have some fancy stuff right now.

I've had to take some of the most popular pages off, and am in the process of
replacing them with budget versions.

The fern pages (about 8 MB of data without images) will be available on
CDROM. But that takes some organising as well, plus the cost and
installation of a CDROM writer.

The price of providing a public service, if it gets popular, can be high, no
doubt about that.

Brian
Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!