Re: [OM] Tripod recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripod recommendations
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:07:31 -0800
James N. McBride wrote:

Look for a tripod that has legs tall enough that you do not need to have the
center column extended very far to comfortably see through the viewfinder.
Extended columns are usually not very stable, even the good ones. /jnm

One of those generalities that isn't always true. One of the things I love about my Bogen 3236 is the rock solid center column. The tripod legs alone will extend it to maybe 6', but adjusting three legs to just the right height and to level is time consuming and frustrating, so I set them up a little below desired height and use the center column for fine adjustment. this is partucularly useful for close-up work where tiny adjustments make a big difference. I imagine it would also be very useful for making portraits of multiple people of differing heights in the same setup. Of course, it's not a lightweight tripod.

Moose