Re: [OM] 180/2.8 vs. Vivitar 200/3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 180/2.8 vs. Vivitar 200/3.5
From: Bernard Frangoulis <bf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 14:46:19 +0200
First and most importantly, welcome to the list. This truly is a wonderful
place; I know you'll enjoy it.

Thanks Tom!

200/5 -- One of my personal favorites, primarily due to its very small size.
The f/5 part clearly is a limitation, so it is an outdoors, pretty bright
day, lens

Yes, I'm seduced by its small size - just afraid that its (handheld) use requires a really bright day, and I don't want to carry two 180-200 mm lenses ;-)

180/2.8 -- Also one of my favorites. Its size and weight cause it to be left
at home a lot, but when I need it, it is fantastic. I particularly use it at
my daughters' indoor school events, like musicals.  Nice and bright, very
sharp, handles perfectly.  The bad part is the cost, particularly for a lens
that isn't used often
200/4 -- This is the one you didn't mention. It is, perhaps, the perfect
compromise. It is larger (using 55mm filters), but not that much larger.
Handles nicely. Much brighter.  Prices in Europe seem to be higher, but a
nice one can be found for around the $140 you mention for the 200/5, if not
less.

The 200/4 and the Vivitar 200/3 seem to be approximately the same size, although the Vivitar feels almost as heavy as the Zuiko 180/2.8 ! I read that a Vivitar Series 1 200/3 lens was very good, but this is not the one.

P.S. Don't forget a nice zoom, like the 65-200 f/4

Well, it has the size and weight of the 180/2.8... I think I'm more interested in the f/2.8 aperture than in the zoom capabilities, unless the zoom is more compact.

Any other advice on/experience with these lenses?

Thanks,
Bernard