[OM] 180/2.8 vs. Vivitar 200/3.5

Subject: [OM] 180/2.8 vs. Vivitar 200/3.5
From: Bernard Frangoulis <bf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 09:42:09 +0200
Hello everybody,

this is my first post on this list. Well, let's start with this. After a few years where my OM4Ti was mostly "at rest", I now feel again like doing a lot of photography ;-) So I've decided to invest in a quality lens in the 200 mm range.

I've seen here in Paris a Zuiko 180/2.8 at $510, a Zuiko 200/5 at $140 and a Vivitar 200/3.5 at $160 (approximately, counting $1 = FF7).

The 200/5 is nice and compact, with a "Zuik-feeling" (neologism?), but f:5 seems a bit too much (or too little!) for a minimum aperture.

The 180/2.8 is not compact, to say the least, but I suppose this is one of the best Zuiko lenses.

So my question is, has anybody experience with these lenses, especially with the Vivitar for which I can't seem to find any information, and offer a piece of advice to help me decide?

Thanks in advance!

PS : on a more general, "list-related" topic: I have just discovered your list, and joined yesterday. It seems you had one "incident" last week...;-) But all I can see from the few postings that I have read is friendly, considerate, thoughtful discussions - and even the OT postings contribute to the general feeling of the list. Keep it this way...