Re: [OM] 180/2.8 vs. Vivitar 200/3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 180/2.8 vs. Vivitar 200/3.5
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 07:07:08 -0500
Bernard,

First and most importantly, welcome to the list. This truly is a wonderful
place; I know you'll enjoy it.

As for your question, I can't comment on the Vivitar, as I've never even
seen one, so I'll leave that to more knowledgeable folks.  I can comment on
the three Zuiko choices, one of which you didn't mention.

200/5 -- One of my personal favorites, primarily due to its very small size.
The f/5 part clearly is a limitation, so it is an outdoors, pretty bright
day, lens
180/2.8 -- Also one of my favorites. Its size and weight cause it to be left
at home a lot, but when I need it, it is fantastic. I particularly use it at
my daughters' indoor school events, like musicals.  Nice and bright, very
sharp, handles perfectly.  The bad part is the cost, particularly for a lens
that isn't used often
200/4 -- This is the one you didn't mention. It is, perhaps, the perfect
compromise. It is larger (using 55mm filters), but not that much larger.
Handles nicely. Much brighter.  Prices in Europe seem to be higher, but a
nice one can be found for around the $140 you mention for the 200/5, if not
less.

Unlimited budget:  200/5 and 180/2.8
Limiteed budget: 200/4

Now, hopefully someone will answer about the Vivitar and let you make a
decision.

Tom

P.S. Don't forget a nice zoom, like the 65-200 f/4

From: "Bernard Frangoulis"