Re: [OM] Moderator on List

Subject: Re: [OM] Moderator on List
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:13:28 -0700
I'm not real excited about these ideas. In fact I find most of them down right
draconian. It may be hard to see from the viewpoint so close to last week, but
the
list really has done fine all in all. I find a number of problems with all of
the
proposals, in particular:

Proposal #1:
I don't think we should ban off topic posts. (Frankly if the truth be known I am
STRONGLY opposed to this idea.) In fact, my participation will drop greatly. It
will kill the heart of this list in many ways.

I have always had problems understanding, and still fail to see how off topic
posts contribute general nastiness, rudeness, ect. That resides with the
person(s)
posting. There have been plenty of flame wars that were on-topic. Keep in mind
that one of the loudest proponents of banning off topic posts was Oben.
Obviously
disliking off topic posts and being polite are not necessarily mutually
inclusive.

Like others here I like the sense of community that the occasional off topic
thread adds. Kind of like visiting at a club meeting. If everything is all
on-topic and business some vitality in the relationships are lost.

Proposal #2:
I am even more strongly opposed to banning people for posting to off topic
posts.
I doubt I would last long around here under that system. :) I do not see this
kind
of an offense as anywhere near in the same league as e-mail beating the living
tar
out of folks.

Proposal #3
I am opposed to a 'godhead' of any kind on a mailing list.

Proposal #4
This would kill both lists well before the 18 month period was over. I disagree
very strongly with a beginners list and especially 18 MONTHS! Hell _I_ haven't
been here 18 months! Many new listees are far from beginners. I would have left
beginners list before one month was over, let alone 18! I realize that it may be
tedious to see answers to questions that have been asked before, but often times
the answers bring new ideas to light. Sometimes, even reading the archives does
not really answer a question as well as a live answer. There is more confidence
in
getting a live answer for many folks. If you restrict the new users to a newbies
list, who is going to answer the questions? If it is just new folks, they most
likely will not have the answer. The list will be one of unending unanswered
questions, until it dies from inactivity, the new users leaving for lack of
interest before being 'vetted' to the inner sanctum. Meanwhile the the 'elite'
list molders as us old fogies die off one by one.

I really think that closing the list will resolve the vast majority of the
problems that we have had, that and a little dose of civility.

Lastly, the list really is not democratic in it's governing. All decisions are
solely up to the list administrator. While Giles has taken our feedback into
consideration, which I greatly appreciate, it really is his choice alone as to
how
to run the list.

Jim Couch