RE: [OM] Moderator on List - We've Been Spoofed

Subject: RE: [OM] Moderator on List - We've Been Spoofed
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 12:10:52 +0000
At 13:39 8/19/01, Dave wrote:
John,

I concur completely on all of your points below.

The Real Dave (though OC will probably be duplicating this soon as well)

Yep!  We been spoofed.  Sorry, Dave.

Didn't come from the SMTP server Oben was using previously for the list (mail.san.yahoo.com) but it did come through a server in Australia . . . which makes me very suspicious about the source. Did a search for "smtp.iprimus.com.au" (the SMTP server it originated through) in all the [OM] email headers dating back to May. Came up with four emails all related to "Moderator on List." Two with "No Subject" (the original moderator ones supposedly intended for Giles) and two more, one with the proposed rules and the second touting ADITL submissions are a vote for those rules.

The person posting these spoofs should know that some of us have tools to eventually find out exactly where they came from.

-- John