Re: [OM] Moderator on List

Subject: Re: [OM] Moderator on List
From: "c.e.packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 20:53:52 -0500
Dave,
I have read your list of suggestions and given it a bit of thought.
Questions:
1) What are to be considered off topic posts?
For me this list is not just about Olympus/Zuiko equipment. It is also
about how we approach photography and make the best possible images we
can using Olympus/Zuiko equipment. Also, there have been many off topic
posting about subjects relating to photography that have nothing to do
with Olympus/Zuiko equipment. A few examples: Lens and film storage.
Choosing the right films for a particular situation. Third party lenses
that are of good quality and performance for people who can't afford
Zuikos. Lighting tips whether in a studio or in the field. Framing tips.
Scanning tips. Travel tips. Photographic etiquette to avoid ridicule,
embarrassment or loss of life. And a host of other topics that either
started or became off topic. I have found all of these have been
extremely useful and informative bits of knowledge.
We as a group have agreed to avoid sensitive topics (religion, politics,
sex, SUVs and others) as we are all aware that this is an international
mailing list. And yes, we all have made mistakes in getting where we
are, its called learning and we are all better for it and can only
become better if we don't limit our scope of thought.
To bar all off topic posts would greatly diminish the quality of this
list in so many ways. Frankly, if all I wanted was technical information
about Olympus/Zuiko equipment I'd memorize the e-SIF and barrage the
Olympus Corporation with questions.

2 and 3) Forceful unsub*scriptions by committee? or by majority rule?
At the bottom of your post you mention democratic principles yet you
wish to form a commitee to decide who stay and who goes. Further not
only (on the surface of your writing) do you want to be moderator
forever (while you are a list member) but you have nominated yourself to
be on the commitee (OM trinity?) forever (while you are a list member)
what is democratic about that?

4) A beginners/elite list?
Splitting the list into classes. Not demoractic either. Yes, new members
ask a lot the same questions and as a result they appear on the list
time and again. A better solution is to create a FAQ page and direct new
members there  with there questions and not make them take a test.
Perhaps that and other information could be included in a welcome
message.

In conclusion, I too am glad that the SPAM is gone and that we now have
a way of banning malcontents. But as I stated in my rebuttal of your
first suggestion, the quality of the list would be greatly diminished.

My thoughts,
Charles Packard
Olympus Mailing List member since November, 1998.