Re: [OM] Holy Winder 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Holy Winder 2
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:48:25 +0000
At 10:19 10/23/00 , Andrew Fildes wrote:
>Problem 2 - when bolting the camera/winder 2 to the tripod instead, the
>screw in the quick release plate 'bottomed' in the hole so that I couldn't
>tighten it (no problem in the camera body itself).
>I LIKE to use the winder for tele and macro work - anyone solved this one?
>Andrew

Oops!  Forgot about the bottoming out problem.  Bogen's hex plate screws
bottom out in most of my gear.  However, they have a knurled thumbnut
between the screw head and the bottom of the hex plate.  With these plates,
you put the screw in until it bottoms out, back out about quarter or half
turn, and then tighten the knurled thumbnut to pull everything tight.  (You
don't want to have the screw bottomed out when you tighten everything up;
it's hard on the screw threads, socket threads and the socket face at the
bottom).  When removing the plate, you only need to back off the knurled
thumbnut.  When it hits the screw head it starts turning it until it's
unthreaded.  The hex plate QR's have a pocket under where the plate mounts
to make room the longer screw and thumbnut.

-- John