[OM] 35mm vs. medium format heresies

Subject: [OM] 35mm vs. medium format heresies
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:22:35 -0700
-multiple snips

 However, it's still not as
heavy or bulky as the Mamiya 645 with prism finder and heavy-duty trigger
hand grip and flash unit on it.  The Mamiya hand grip is as heavy as a
single-digit OM body alone.  I use a neck strap when lugging that much
weight around, not to let it dangle from, but to carry some of the weight
on my neck when I'm not shooting and give my arm a rest while still holding
onto the grip.  I've found the hand strap on both a useful item under these
conditions too; it allows letting up a little on the death grip to keep
from dropping it.

-- John

Back in my POME(pre-OM era) I bought a rather nice 90mm F2.8 TeleElmarit for my M3 from a guy who worked as a photographer for one of the large aircraft manufacturers that still existed in Southern California. He had talked his corporation into replacing his Leica equipment with a rather complete Canon F1 system. He was kind enough to show me some of his work, mostly 8x10s and 11x14s, black and white, taken with the company Leicas and Hasselblads.(Is this some sort of dream job where your boss buys you nice cameras?) I was struck by the fact that I could not tell which prints came from a 35mm negative and which from the 60mm negative. I suspect the prints were small enough not to show differences in grain to the unaided eye. There did not seem to be differences in resolution in the prints to my untrained eye.

On the other hand I have seen 60mm slides projected large, whose color and contrast seem to blow 35 mm out of the water. Is medium format really better? How about the 45x60mm? Evidently Art Wolfe thinks so.

With Mamiya's 645E pricing with normal lens at about the price of an OM4Ti with normal lens and cheaper than the OM3Ti with lens, does it make sense for someone to buy a new top of the line Leica, Nikon, Canon, or OM? Is the market going to split between digital / "point and shoot" and lighter, cheaper and flexible versions of medium format? Wouldn't it be a hoot if Oly decided to revolutionize that segment of the market?

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA