Re: [OM] Eye Fixers

Subject: Re: [OM] Eye Fixers
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 00:47:52 +0000
My peepers went wonky a while back.  Fortunately there never has been any
astigmatism which is the hardest thing to deal with in camera use.  I
recommend the dioptric correction in an eyecup.  Using your reading glasses
generally will not work well because the image in the viewfinder is
presented to you as if it's about six feet away.  You need to use your
distance correction.  If it weren't for the "progressive" lenses you have,
you could probably get by with the distance part of your bifocals.

I am ever so glad the OM-4 has the dioptric correction built into the
viewfinder.  Once I got that set right it made a big difference.  Expecting
a dioptric lens any day now in the mail that I can use with my OM-1n.  I've
had to suffer through wearing my distance glasses when using that body.  An
eyecup 2 will fit the OM-10 and any of the single-digit OM bodies.

An alternative is to take an old pair of glasses (not progressive) that has
the same prescription in the eye you use to look through the viewfinder,
and have the center of the distance section cut out to the diameter of a
3rd party eyecup.  Most of the 3rd party ones have a removable ring that
allows inserting a dioptric correction lens under the ring.

-- John