Re: [OM] Zoom questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Zoom questions
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:35:48 EDT
In a message dated 8/2/00 10:40:49 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< The Zuiko 75-150/4 is a beautiful lens in its own way.  Light and quick, it
 >is sharp enough for me and I have no complaints about flare. >>

While stationed in Okinawa in 1974, I purchased an OM-1 with a 50 mm/f1.4
lens, a Zuiko 35 mm/f2.8 wide angle, a Zuiko 50 mm/f3.5 macro lens, a Zuiko
75-150 mm zoom lens and the 300 mm/f4.5 telephoto. (Ordered through the Base
Exchange. Couldn't pass up the prices and the opportunity.) By 1978 I had
purchased a black OM-1 body and an OM-2 body also. Over the past 26+ years,
the 75-150 mm zoom has been my most used lens, occasionally (rarely)
supplemented by an excellent 2X converter. The 50 mm macro has been my second
most used lens. The other three lenses have seen very little use, dependent
upon photographic subjects. The 75-150 zoom beautifully handles the type of
photography I love best. In 1978 I purchased a second one, just to make
certain I would always have a spare. (And to keep my son off my other one.)
;-)  When he entered high school I purchased him an OM-10 w/manual adapter,
50 mm/f1.8 normal and 135 mm/f3.5 telephoto. He kept borrowing my 75-150 mm
zoom.

I have always gotten excellent results with the 75-150. It is light, easy to
handle and balance and always delivers sharp results. I watch my light
direction, protect my lens from direct lighting and have had no problems with
lens flare. Until I recently purchased a Zuiko 35-70 mm/f3.5-4.5 zoom lens, I
couldn't imagine a more useful lens. Now I have two marvelously convenient
lenses to choose from. With these two lenses and appropriate films I can
handle most of the photography I do. I highly recommend both as part of a
true Zuikoholic's equipment.

My two cents worth, which isn't all that much adjusted for today's price
structure.

Robert