Re: [OM] Zoom questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Zoom questions
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 22:30:00 -0500
At 09:22 PM 8/2/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>The Zuiko 75-150/4 is a beautiful lens in its own way.  Light and quick, it
>is sharp enough for me and I have no complaints about flare; I miss its size
>when I am shooting my enormous Sigma 70-210/2.8, but I miss the brightness
>of the Sigma when I am shooting the Zuiko 75-150.  I guess it is good to
>have both <g>.  I won't take the Sigma to Europe next month, but I probably
>will carry the Zuiko.  The Zuiko 75-150/4 and the Zuiko 200/5 together may
>weigh almost as much as the Sigma zoom alone, but fit in a small camera bag
>much better.
>
>Gary

Gee, I'm usually the one praising the 75-150/4 and feeling a bit like a
dope about it. It's interesting how its reputation is on the ascendant
right now.

I think this is the thread in which someone asked about 4 Zuiko zooms.  I
noticed the 85-250/5 was not mentioned by the original writer. If one is a
tripod shooter, this is really a nice lens to have.  Quite often it's the
only lens I'll shoot in a whole session.  I also like very much the 35-105.
 It can certainly be handheld, but I prefer the 35-70/3.5-4.5 for those
situations.

I picked up a Tokina SZ-X 60-300/f4 about 2 years ago on the recommendation
of Gary Schloss. I think this is wonderful lens through to about 250, and
it's pretty good at the far long end, although there is a bit of fall off,
so one must be careful shooting in manual mode. It's astonishingly light
for such a biggish lens and very crisp and quick.

Any of the f4 zooms seem (to me) like fast glass with a 2-series screen.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA