Re: [OM] Zoom questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Zoom questions
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 16:51:58 -0500
Cc: <milar@xxxxxxxx>
Oh boy.  What a question <g>.

Well, as you'll soon discover from this list, I have opinions, so I'll
share'em.  I also own an awful lot of Zuiko lenses (far more than I should).

The choices include:

75-150/4
65-200/4
50-250/5
70-210/4.5-5.6
85-250/5
100-200/5

Now, the first step is to buy them all.  Then you'll fit in with this group
quite well.

Putting them in the order that I would buy them, taking into account both
usefulness and cost, I'd go with:

75-150/4
65-200/4
100-200/5
85-250/5
50-250/5
70-210/4.5-5.6

Now, the 70-210 goes to the bottom as it's not a 'real zuiko'. It's made by
Cosina. I've never seen one (it's the only one I don't own), but the build
quality of the Cosina-made 35-70 I did own was inferior.

Here's my thinking.

75-150 - I like it a lot, as it is very small and very light and a good lens
to keep in a travel kit.  The negative is that it is only available as a
single-coated lens and there are reports of older ones have problems with
lens separation.  But if you're careful, you'll get a nice one in the $100
range.  I almost always have this one with me.

65-200 - A really great lens, heavier than the 75-150, but not huge. It's a
push-pull one-touch, which is very nice. If you're only going to own one,
this might be the best choice.  They're in the $225 range.  Price pushed it
down to number two.

100-200 - This lens doesn't seem to have the best reputation, but I don't
really know why.  It's a little slow (f/5), but it is a smooth one-touch and
I like it a lot for sports.  The only reason I don't use it more, is that I
have all the others.  You can pick one up in the $100-125 range.  Good value
for the money.

85-250 - First, it's big.  Really big.  In fact, many of them come with the
tripod mount attached. I use mine on a monopod, which works well.  It's a
big, robust lens, with a nice wide range.  Overall a good lens.  Available
in the $275 range.

50-250 - Of them all, this one gets the most use.  It's got a huge range and
is the same size and weight as the 65-200, but a little slower. During
soccer season, this lens gets two-three rolls a week.  Big downside, they're
hard to find and very expensive, $500+.  Really not worth it, unless you
just want a complete set. Price is the only reason it is so low on the list.

70-210 - comments earlier.

Hopefully this helps.

Tom