Re: [OM] introduction of myself

Subject: Re: [OM] introduction of myself
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 Apr 2000 11:24:25 +1000
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

> Hello,
>
> Im a listener of the Olympus Mailing list for a few time ( just
> about 2000 mails....).

Welcome aboard.

> Because it seems to be usual to introduce a person here, I'll write
> a bit about me, and my way to zuikoholism :). It wont be too much,
> because Im a german, not too fast in writing English sentence.

That's OK.  Many of us English speakers aren't very good at writing
English sentences either. :-)

> I'm not   common with the English/American style of rating  the
> condition of used Equipment.
> Do I guess right that they're ranked form 1..10, with 10 as best
> value?

That's one scale.  You'll also see things rated as "Excellent", "Very
good", "good", "fair", "poor", sometimes with + or - sign added.

In the 10-point scale, "10" should mean "like new".  You'll also see
"LNIB" ("Like New, in box").

The meaning of 9,8,7,6 etc is not very clear.  Here's my opinion (and
I expect other list members will disagree, or share their personal
interpretations).

        9       - some small marks or scuffing.  Operates perfectly.
                        No deep scratches that couldn't be removed by
                        careful buffing.
        8       - a few scratches.  Operates well, slight wear.
        7       - small dent or deep scratch.  Operates well.
        6       - dent or damage.  Needs cleaning and service.
                  Small part broken, maladjusted, or missing
                  (eg rewind crank handle, self-timer lever, etc.)
        5       - Needs service or repair, or has broken parts.
        4 and below - Does not work.  Suitable for expert repair or
                        source of parts only.
        1       - was run over by entire Panzer division.
        0       - user attempted self-repair involving "super-glue"
                        and/or "WD40".

> - And what is meant by `mint-condition` ?

It's a term invented by coin-collectors, meaning "exactly as it came
from the mint (factory)".  Even better than "like new".  Still shiny
and perfect.  Collectors of things other than coins often use the
term, as an analogy.

Regards,
        Chris.