[OM] introduction of myself

Subject: [OM] introduction of myself
From: Jim Terazawa <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 17:32:38 -0500
Hi Frieder,

frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I幹m a listener of the Olympus Mailing list for a few time ( just about 2000
> mails....).
> Because it seems to be usual to introduce a person here, I'll write a bit
> about me, and my way to zuikoholism :). It wont be too much, because I幹m a
> german, not too fast in writing English sentence.

Welcome to the List Frieder !  I'm Japanese living in Texas and have been on
and off the List
since 1995.

> I幹m living in the south of Germany studying mechanical engineering in
> Stuttgart. My first Olympus Camera was a OM-40, which was a used one, I
> bought with a travenar-Zoom-set about 1993. The joy wasn't for long time:
> During the first travel it showed an electronic defect. The dealer accepted
> to take it back. This was a good chance to get rid of the rather big
> Travenar-Zooms.
> Then I decided to buy a OM-2sp, because  I`ve already bought a 1.4/50mm Zuiko
> :). Soon a OM 1 and other lenses followed. And I was infected by zuikoholism.
> Today I own 12 lenses, most of them Zuiko's. My favorite one is the 2/85,  I
> like shooting with compact and fast prime lenses, and the Zoom's stay at home
> most of the time.
>
> I was very pleased to find such an active OM-community on the web. Realizing
> that I幹m not the only Guy playing with this old fashioned, but fascinating
> Photo stuff.

I also play with my OM toys at home whenver I can, but not much now these days..

> I'm not an native English speaker, and would have some questions about the
> photo slang.
> (beeing glad, that bookeh, was explained some mails ago :).

I don't understand some of the slang either, but bokeh is a legitimate Japanese
word and
this word is indeed used in the photographics context.

> I'm not   common with the English/American style of rating  the condition of
>  used Equipment.
> Do I guess right that they're ranked form 1..10, with 10 as best value?
> - And what is meant by `mint-condition` ?

Usually the 10 is the highest grade/value when ranking of 1...10.
My understanding of 'mint condition' is unused, untampered, not handled.  I
think it comes
from mint coins where collectible coins are wrapped either or encased in
plastics or glass.
Therefore, when I see 'mint condition' camera, I would think the camera is
never used.
But I wonder whether IC chips and other electronics components/wires ever stay
mint(new)
becasue I know they have limited storage life time - so I will be carefule when
I see
advertisements such as 'mint-condition' OM1 or M-1 or even OM2, 2N's.  Those
SLRs
were produced in the 1970's.