Re: [OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 18:22:31 -0500
I have taken terrestrial pix thru my Celestron C-11 SCT.  Overall, focus is
a bear and the contrast just isn't.  Very flat.  I mean **very**.

At f/8 or slower and dollars at an absolute premium, I'd consider a low
dollar third party offering from the likes of Sigma or Tamron or the old
Vivitars.  They pop up used often enough.  However, judging from the
excellence of the shots you've posted on your website, you are not going to
be satisfied with the lower image quality.  Sad but true, speed is
expensive.  Do you have a specific dollar range budgeted for this lens?  I
think you'll do better with a 300-400 f5/.6 lens compared to a mirror-based
alternative.