[OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens

Subject: [OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens
From: Mike Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:49:06 -0800
Hello fellow Zuikoholics,
        I realize this is a bit sacrilegious but bear with me,  I have been on
the look out for a 400mm or longer lens to take to the race track (I
don't get a Press Pass).  A friend of mine suggested a small telescope
e.g. Celestron C-5, C-8 or similar catadioptric.  This would get me the
side benefit of a small telescope to explore astro photography and
another justification to my wife.  While on this search I have found a
group of people almost as diverse and interesting as the Olympus group,
The amateur telescope makers.  It took a while but I realized that the
typical ATM type telescope would not do the dual duty I was looking
for.  This took me back to store bought telescope.  I then came upon the
Orion 500 mm f5.6 for about US$280.00.  It is a bunch bigger than a
Zuiko but it is also stop faster.
        Finally to my question, does anyone (maybe one of our Astro
Photographers) have any experience using a Catadioptric telescope for
terrestrial photos?  How is the build quality, sharpness ect?  Better
than A Tamron 500mm F8 for example?  TIA,

--
Mike Butler
Chief Mechanic / Engineer

P.S. I've got to be careful telescopes are at least as expensive as
Zuikos.