Re: [OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens
From: Jim Mueller <webnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:27:25 -0600
You can buy a Celestron/Eagle Optics 80mmWA refreactor that can also be used as
a 400mm f/5 telephoto lens. The objective lens is 80mm in diameter, while the
photgraphic speed is f/5. This gives a focal length of 400mmm. It comes with an
equatorial mount, star diagonal, and eyepiece for around $230.

The major disadvantage is that you need to use the scope with an Olympus mount
T-Adaptor. The T-Adaptor fits on your camera and then screws into the drawtube
of the scope. This means you lose the metering capability of your camera.

Still, it's a reasonabley fast lens and very sharp.

jim mueller

> > Hello fellow Zuikoholics,
> > I realize this is a bit sacrilegious but bear with me,  I have been on
> > the look out for a 400mm or longer lens to take to the race track (I
> > don't get a Press Pass).
> > Finally to my question, does anyone (maybe one of our Astro
> > Photographers) have any experience using a Catadioptric telescope for
> > terrestrial photos?  How is the build quality, sharpness ect?  Better
> > than A Tamron 500mm F8 for example?  TIA,

jim mueller
MP3 Home Studio Tech Support