RE: [OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens

Subject: RE: [OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:30:35 -0500
Mike,
I put on this list a while back that I had found a Novoflex 400mm 5.6 at
Columbus Camera. This lens needs some help (no variable diaphragm, but is it
necessary?), front element has some scratches and has a Pentax mount.
But, check out Gary Reese's tests of the Novoflex I have, Gary now has one,
too.  This lens is the older screw-apart rather than the newer bayonet
style. BUT, I'm sure I could get it for ~$100.  Has the pistol grip, but not
the shoulder grip.  I will be back over that way on Jan. 10 at the latest.

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

<snip>
        I realize this is a bit sacrilegious but bear with me,  I have been on
the look out for a 400mm or longer lens to take to the race track (I
don't get a Press Pass).  A friend of mine suggested a small telescope
e.g. Celestron C-5, C-8 or similar catadioptric. I then came upon the
Orion 500 mm f5.6 for about US$280.00.  It is a bunch bigger than a
Zuiko but it is also stop faster.