Re: [OM] Shift lens on Bogen plate, WAS: What's the best zoom?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shift lens on Bogen plate, WAS: What's the best zoom?
From: Zone129@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:55:08 EST
In a message dated 12/22/1999 9:07:41 AM Mountain Standard Time,
image66@xxxxxxx writes:

>  The AT-X does have a problem though, and it is the same problem as with the
>  35/shift:  You can't use  the camera on a Bogan hex plate unless you have a
>  winder/motordrive installed on the camera.  I also find the DOF preview
>  button nearly impossible to get to as it is in a deep recession next to the
>  aperature ring.

Hi Ken,

Actually, there is a cheat you can do to use the Bogen plate with the
35/shift.  Just turn the plate so that a flat is facing forward instead of a
point and the lens sliding flange will clear.  I know the engraved "Lens -->"
will not be facing forward anymore which may lead to some crooked shots but
you can learn to compensate ;^)  When mounted to my Bogen 3038 ball head I
can then face the lens to the side of the head and can get close to full lens
movement as well in the fall direction before it hits the head.

Option number two,(or was it option B, I forget) and I think we discussed
this a long time ago was to mill off the corner of the Bogen plate to clear
larger diameter lenses.  If you aren't too concerned with "pretty" you can do
a credible job with a sharp file.  I did mine on a milling machine, took five
minutes.  For everything except the shift lens, a cut to about 1/2 the plate
thickness has worked fine.  The shift lens needs the whole corner lopped off
but it will still interfere with the head as I mentioned above so I just do
the point to flat rotation when I need this.  Like you said, using a winder
on the body solves all interference problems also but that doesn't seem as
elegant does it?

Best wishes,

Carl Turner