Re: [OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens
From: Mike Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 06:47:33 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
snip>

> Sorry I can't give you much more help.  I'm not concerned about buying
> one of these 500mm f5.6's since my primary intention is a bright
> spotting scope.  If I also happen to get a usable 500mm lens so much the
> better.
>
> ps:  The C-8 is definitely very slow to focus.  I expect that the 500mm
> f5.6 will be as well.  It has a focusing knob extending out the back of
> the mirror cell just like the C-8. The focusing knob causes the primary
> mirror to move back and forth on a threaded, hollow shaft.  Not as quick
> as grabbing a focusing grip up front like most lenses.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
> Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Chuck,
        Thanks for the info.  I'll be interested to hear your opinion of the
500 f5.6.  I think Ron Crabtree's suggestion is interesting but for the
same price (~$3000) I could get a decent Zuiko 500mm mirror lens and a
second hand C-8.  If I did that, I'd also be in the market for a new
Wife, so I think that will have to wait.
--
Mike Butler
Chief Mechanic / Engineer