Re: [OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Alternate 500mm telephoto lens
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 22:28:33 -0700
I have been on
> the look out for a 400mm or longer lens to take to the race track

While I know your question pertains to telescopes, I just want to put in a
plug for the ONLY  Olympus mount 500mm telephoto lens available today with
an aperture faster than f6.3(faster, that is, than the Zuiko 400, 500, or
600mm lenses).   It is the Sigma 500mm APO f4.5.  It is difficult to obtain,
but can be ordered from Sigma via B&H photo.  I have one and have been
pleased with it.  It is big and heavy, but not as heavy as a Zuiko 350mm
with a 1.4x or 2x converter, and a bit cheaper(unless you get a great deal
on a used 350mm).  If you have any interest in this type of lens, email me
off list and I can give you my experience.  No, mine is not for sale.

Regards,

Ron Crabtree
Santa Fe, NM
USA