Re: [OM] What's the best zoom?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's the best zoom?
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:35:42 -0500
Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> asked:
> In your collective experience, what's the best 28/35 - 70 zoom out there,
> Zuiko or otherwise, with an OM mount?

Without peer is the Zuiko 35-80mm f/2.8 zoom.  Be prepared to seriously
injur your checkbook.  It is expensive and worth every dime.  It's also
heavy and worth every gram.  Anything less is compromise.  But....you asked
"what's the best" <grin>

> Any ideas for something I can actually find?  Paul (OlympusGuy) has got a
> 3.6 for $229 USD.

In terms of practicality, the 35-70 f/3.6 zoom is very good, even if in the
shadow of its f/2.8 brother.  I had one for many years and always liked it,
even if the viewfinder image wasa tad dark in low-light situations making
critical focus difficult.  I gave it to my mother in law after I got the
35-80.  For the huge difference in price, this may be a better alternative
for you.  At $229, its a good buy provided it is in top nick.

John P
Florence
South Carolina
USA