Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control
From: "Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:36:26 -0700
Warren writes,
>I also am at odds with the location of the aperture ring (toughening my
feet
>for the fire walk). I would like it close to the lens mount. If Maitani had
>designed the OM with the sequence, shutter ring, aperture ring, focus,
>support lens with left hand, and push shutter, this would have made sense
>with the way I operate a camera.

I too learned on a K-100 & a Spotmatics and found that the speed dial next
to the mount to some getting use to--now I'm quite comfortable with it.

As far as the aperture forward position goes, however, I appreciate the way
it make the Zuikos handle like the Leitz.  I'm not sure if I can explain
it--but there is, for me, definite intuitive feel having the aperture
setting always there between the thumb and first finger, focus between the
thumb and second, the speed between the thumb and third (at least for the
smaller lenses).  It's very quick and comfortable, and I think this
positioning facilitates supporting the lens from beneath rather than
reaching over from above (the way I used to long ago).

Glen Lowry