Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:13:17 -0400
My first camera was a N*kormat with the speed ring around the lens
mount, so I didn't know any other way, until I got a N*k*n FG (which I
hated to use - another story). The FG has the shutter speed dial
available to the right index finger. It was OK, except for the fact
that if you went too far, it would latch into auto mode. Then you would
have to hold the release button down to get it back into manual. That
was real pain in the arse.

I have found the OM4 shutter speed ring to be stiffer than the 4T.
Sometimes adjusting the SS ring causes me to bump the focus as well.

With the OM4/T, a SS dial on the top, and hence available to the right
index finger, for me, would conflict with using the spot meter. I tend
to use auto and spot metering for the majority of shots. I can adjust
the speed quickly just with the spot meter. Almost like painting, a
little light level from here, maybe a touch darker from here... This
way I get the shutter speed control with the right index finger and
aperture with the left hand.

Wayne
Hopkinton, MA