Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:00:04 EDT

> Does anyone know why the Oly shutter speed control was designed to be a
>  ring around the lens rather than a dial somewhere else?  It has always
>  seemed an awkward feature of an otherwise perfect camera.

I also agree with you (and Giles). My first SLR were the Pentax HIV (or
something like that), Spotmatic and Ricoh TLS, which all have their shutter
speedb dial near the shutter button. I then got an OM1, but not because of
the location of the shutter ring. When the OM2 came out I was happy to use
auto and see the shutter speed in the viewfinder.

I also am at odds with the location of the aperture ring (toughening my feet
for the fire walk). I would like it close to the lens mount. If Maitani had
designed the OM with the sequence, shutter ring, aperture ring, focus,
support lens with left hand, and push shutter, this would have made sense
with the way I operate a camera.

Warren