Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 18:15:18 -0500
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Does anyone know why the Oly shutter speed control was designed to be a
> ring around the lens rather than a dial somewhere else?  It has always
> seemed an awkward feature of an otherwise perfect camera.

I actually like it there.  I get a good idea of the shutter speed just
by the position of the tabs and I think it logically and conveniently
groups shutter speed, focus, and f stops.  Maitani seems to have a very
good reason for everything he did and one of the most important was
ergonomics.  I suppose it is awkward if you are used to the more usual
setup.  Of course my brother has N*k*n and I wouldn't dare admit the
other way is better even if it was (but it isn't).

W. J. Liles