Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly Shutter Speed Control
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 18:20:44 -0500
At 01:39 PM 8/28/1999 -0700, Winsor you wrote:
>Does anyone know why the Oly shutter speed control was designed to be a
>ring around the lens rather than a dial somewhere else?  It has always
>seemed an awkward feature of an otherwise perfect camera.  It almost kept
>me from buying one. Does it save some great amount of space inside the
>thorough stuffed innards of the OM camera to do it that way?

Hi Winsor,

You're supposed to take off your shoes when you saunter around the sacred
issue of the Oly shutter speed dial. ;-)

I think I'm probably the other guy on the list who may agree with you. It
doesn't bother me but I find it to be eccentric. It's one of the reasons
I'm happy as a clam with the OM2000.

However, either by luck or genius on the models OM-2 and newer it frees up
the ASA dial for exposure compensation. I think this is just incredibly
convenient and wonder just about every day whether that was in the plan
from the minute Maitani designed the OM-1.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA