Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG

Subject: Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG
From: MorrisMini@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 20:16:59 EDT
Hi All,

51 here. Sheesh, I feel like a geezer.  No comments, ya
whippersnappers..........

On the advise of my dad (seems to be a lot of that here--three cheers for
Dads!), I traded in a Minolta SRT 101 for an OM-1 in 1976 with a 50mm 1.8,
24mm 2.8 and Vivitar 90 Macro.  I was active (with B&W and Kodachrome) for a
number of years, but  kind of lost interest after a series of life twists and
sold the camera and lenses.  I went for a Leica (Minolta) P&S to record the
family stuff, but I missed the control of a manual and I picked up a Pentax
K1000 really cheap to tide me over.  Then last summer my wife and I took a
trip to Alaska.  Upon seeing that gorgeous place, the photo bug bit me hard,
bringing back the memories of the Oly feel and quality.  My father had died a
couple of years before, leaving his OM-2n, a few lenses, and all kinds of
photo goodies in boxes at the family house.  As soon as we got back from
Alaska, I went over and picked them up and have been immersed ever since,
spending more than I want to admit on Oly gear.

My enthusiasm was fueled by going to a photo workshop last month. Other than
my OM's and one lonely Spotmatic, ten of twelve people had gigantic
techno-bricks.  Fine cameras, I'm sure, but the OM's design is so clean and
elegant by comparison that all the List's comments on that very subject
crystallized and I realized how good they really are.  One young snot said
"Shoot Nikon or stay home", but did have grudging admiration after handling
the OM.  They may not be for everyone, but they're perfect for me.

Tim Clark