Re: [OM] Photo 'Contest'

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo 'Contest'
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 20:36:30 -0400
At 03:37 PM 5/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Denton;
>
>Thanks, I just visited the Contax photo contest.  Pretty interesting.
>
>I think it would be great for us to do something similar.  Contax
>apparently has one every month and each contest is themed.  May's theme
>was 'faces'.

This is the fourth month. Next month will be 'water'. The first one was shoot
for one day only and see what you get.

>I'd like to keep the ball rolling on this thread and ask for opinions on
>how we might do this?
>
>My opinions?
>* One per month may be too much to handle at first, logistically.
>Someone said once a quarter, I would even go for every other month.

Someone is going to have to receive the pix, scale them, thumbnail them, etc.
One problem on the Contax list was that some people were not scanner-literate
and one guy emailed a 20mb file. Then someone has to tabulate the votes, post
the winner, etc. Quite time-intensive.

>* I do lean in favor of 'themes' as I think it makes it easier to 'vote'
>for an entry in the context of a theme.

>* All entries should identify camera and lens used. Film, aperture and
>shutter if possible.
>* Someone mentioned about using non-Zuikos. I have mixed emotions on
>this one.  I suppose if the offending 3rd party lens has not yet fallen
>apart :>) and was mounted on an Olympus camera we could allow it.  Maybe
>take some points away though? :>)

There's a certain amount of trust involved. I lean towards Oly bodies only but
other lenses ok. Probably cuz I have a 600 Vivitar and 1000 Sigma mirror lens
:-) Why not let people see all the good non-zuik stuff that can be mounted on
these bodies?

>* The Contax folk apparently have their own **website** as well as
>mailing list. Shawn has been pretty much out of touch lately and
>apparently is real busy.  I don't have much free time myself, but I do
>have a website with plenty of free space.  I may be able to setup a
>quickie subpage for this purpose and run this thing for a while if there
>are no other takers.
>* How about prizes?  I think Gary Schloss should send each winner
>something from his collection of Olympus goodies. :>) (Just kidding
>about prizes)

Yeah I think Gary should give a 20 0iscount on whatever he's got to the
winner. (only kidding).

And also Greg L. should not get to win more than one contest a year :-)

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at