Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG

Subject: Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 20:59:13 +0000
Age:  46

My first was an OM-10 in 1980 with 50mm f/1.8, manual adapter, and T-20
flash.  Being a relatively poor GI at the time it was all I could afford,
but wanted to eventually upgrade to an OM-1n or OM-2n.  Got the original
gear when I was TDY at Fort Lee, Virginia for a few months (no I wasn't
Quartermaster; I was Signal Corps).  Amazingly I found a couple of the
original receipts recently and had completely forgotten some of the stuff
was bought at the Ritz camera store in Petersburg, VA.  Shortly thereafter
I added a 28mm f/3.5, 75-150mm f/4 zoom with 2x teleconverter, a set of
close-up lenses, and a Winder 2.

Never did get the OM-1n or OM-2n I was lusting for at the time.  The OM-10
worked so well it never became a priority, but did eventually get an OM-4.
Put a "2" series screen under the prism as the finder seemed slightly
dimmer than the OM-10's.  Along with the original lenses and flash I now
have a T-32, 50mm f/1.2, 35-105mm f/3.5~4.5, and 35mm f/2.8 shift.  Don't
do very much that needs a long telephoto, but would eventually like to
upgrade the 75-150 and 2x into a set of 135mm, 180mm and 300mm primes.
Gotta save more nickels and dimes for that though, and its a lower priority
than finding a couple accessories for a Mamiya 645 in the medium format bag.

Most commonly used lens by far is the 50/1.2 followed by the 35-105 and
then the 35 shift.  Over time I abandoned color negative and the film of
choice became Kodachrome 25 or 64.  I'll use Elitechrome 100 if I can't
find the slow Kodachromes.  Would like to try some Fuji Velvia some time,
but a lot of my work has people in it and I've read in a number of sources
the Velvia is great for vivid landscape but not so hot on skin tones.  I
shoot some landscape, some man-made architecture as part of landscape, and
some candids of people doing things indoors and outdoors.  Occasionally do
some semi-formal portraiture and posed groups (mostly family and extended
family).

I've looked at the newer Canon and Nikon gear, but get turned off by the
plastic and all the automated motorized gizmos.  I work best keeping things
manual except for the flash.

-- John