Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG

Subject: Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 22:18:30 +0200
Michael Stoesz wrote:

> This has been a most interesting non-OM, Non-NG thread and has caused me to
> wonder; What is the minimum, maximum and mean for our ages?  and
>
> When did each of us discover Olympus or re-discover Olympus?
>
> There should be some great short stories in this one.
>
> Happy spring time to all;
>
> Mike

I'm 39, with (almost exactly) 20 years of experience with the OM cameras
by now. That was not the beginning, however.

My first attempts at photography came about when I abducted my mother's
ancient Kodak Brownie when I was around 10. After a slow start with another
box camera I went into small format negatives when I got a Kodak Instamatic
in '73.

The move into the SLR class came in 74 with a russian Zenit-E. Those cameras
were built like tanks, but the reliability was not so great. I upgraded the
Zenit
to a Petri TTL in 76. It was around that time I became really aware of the
Olympus OM system. They were way out of my economical league, but I was
dreaming - both of an OM-1 and of becoming a professional photographer.

The photographer ambition did not work out (probably for the best), but
the OM-1 did, in 79. The first OM kit only contained the 28mm f:3.5, but
I quickly added a 75-150 zoom. With three further Zuikos and a winder,
all of which I bought during the first few years, that kit served me well
for many years.
At one time I thought I had wrecked the OM-1 when it was exposed to some
hard rain. There was even water inside the bottom plate! As it turned out,
that camera has kept running without error for over 15 years since that
incident. It only needed to be dried a bit. Impressive.

The interest in photography waned for some years, first due to my discovery
of computers at the university, later due to being very busy at work. There
are not many photos from that period, but I did stay faithful, i.e. I kept my
OM kit.

I "rediscovered" photography and the OM system two years ago (although I had
not been completely idle). The rekindled interest combined with discovery
of this list and better economy has led to rampant Zuikoholism (I'm almost in
control now: I _did_ turn down a cheap, relatively speaking, offer on a
180mm/f:2.0).
Nowadays I'm having a lot of fun from my Olympus cameras. The results may not
be staggering from an artistic point of view, but I am enjoying myself.
I even help teach the young people at the local photo dealer: So far two of
them have looked very confused when I have asked for bulk film <g>.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"