Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG

Subject: Re: [OM] Age Data was Non-OM, Non-NG
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 12:42:40 -0400
At 05:47 AM 5/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
>This has been a most interesting non-OM, Non-NG thread and has caused me to
>wonder; What is the minimum, maximum and mean for our ages?  and
>
>When did each of us discover Olympus or re-discover Olympus?
>
>There should be some great short stories in this one.
>
>Happy spring time to all;

I'm 44.

I lusted after Olympus for many years. In my twenties i mostly used a Pentax MX
with 50 1.4 and 100 2.8. That was all the equipment I owned in the world except
for a Mamiya C330 which I used for b&w. I lusted after the OM1 even then but it
seemed like the MX was better with a diode instead of a needle. Which was
better as a 'system' camera was irrelevant cuz I had no money for a 'system'.

Eventually I 'graduated' to autofocus with a Nikon 8008s. Didn't take me long
to see i was blowing more shots with AF than I was with the Pentax.

During this period of unhappiness, which started to coincide with a rising
income, I paid a visit to my brother-in-law, who had just purchased a new
house. He happened to find an 'old camera' on the rafters of his garage.
Happened to be a new-looking OM2S. It re-awakend my Zuikoholism. Since it
'didn't work' I offered him $50 for it. I put in the batteries, and voila, off
and running. The OM2S is not really my cup of tea, but it led to the 4t, and
the start of a beatiful relationship.

I got pissed at Oly for not keeping an interest in SLRs, and so do much of my
current work with Contax, but I still have a complete macro system, a OM1,
OM4t, and some interesting other goodies, that keeps one foot in the world of
Zuiks :-)

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.