Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive
From: Wijsmuller.VanderBel@xxxxxx
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 22:04:46 +0000
Denton Taylor wrote:

> Oly can't rest on its laurels forever...

And some others wrote about the possibilities, chances and strategies
for Olympus to re-enter the SLR market with an updated OM-system.

I personally think the current SLR market makes Olympus'
position 'beyond economical repair'.

But I would like to point out that for me, and I'm interested how
other people feel about that, the further development of the
OM-system is not that important.

When I started with Olympus, some three years ago, I perfectly
understood that Olympus was no longer seriously developing its
OM-system. Yet I fell in love with thos tiny, sturdy camera's and
nice Zuiko's. In fact, when I look at my chrome OM-2(n)n, I think
there haven't been many cameras as beautifull designed and engineered
as this one (and that goes for the OM-1 too). They give me real
pleasure to use, and I accept the features they miss. Good pictures
is mostly about using your head, not your camera (I said mostly).

I would like to compare using an Olympus with driving an old-timer,
a car from the same period as these camera's were introduced. For the
insiders: the Citroen DS feeling. I'm sure the OM-4 and its close
relatives will achieve the same status.

In fact, when I see people staring at my camera I feel very good.
Younger or less interested people don't even know that Olympus
made such camera's, and now, who would take them serious?
Serious amateurs remember the old days, when they owned
such a lovely crafted mechanical miracle (and watch their plastic
brick and sigh). So, reasons enough to feel self-confident.. I guess
its a sort snobism too (and I like it ;-)

BTW, for lenses I wonder if really expensive new advanced designs
would be bought by the enthousiasts on this list (and who else?). How
many people on this list were not the first owners of those expensive
lenses, and only had the chance to buy them because of the decline of
the OM-system?

Frank Wijsmuller.