Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:34:11 -0700
Actually, it seems like it would be smart to do a little of both. Most
everyone seems to be thinking about a ground breaking new design for a new
OM when the OM is quite nice the way it is. However, even the other camera
makers have managed to understand that they do not have to come out with a
completely new design to get it reviewed and in front of the camera buying
public. How many versions of the EOS have been produced? Olympus could, if
they wanted to, introduce some refinements every couple of years that would
allow them new camera reviews in multiple magazines and change their
marketing image completely. That and some strategic advertising might make
a tremendous difference. In addition, price raises which we all hate, would
be more acceptable if there were added features or refinements.

If I had had an OM4 before the T came out, I would have been tempted to buy
a new one because of the real improvements in the design. If there was a
new OM4Tz, let us say, with a modern shutter with flash synch at 1/250th of
a second, matrix metering in the automode, lock up mirror, maybe further
improvements in weathersealing and circuit design, who would not be
tempted, especially if there were a couple of spiffy new lenses and a new
flash. And if Olympus did something really clever like putting the aperture
in the viewfinder, the camera mags would go on and on, about the new
professional quality camera from Oly and how the new camera continued in
the long Oly tradition of innovation and outstanding engineering. They
might say things like, "Even though it is expensive, the quality is there."
or "The Leicaflex or Contax for everyman." [Sorry Denton  ;-)] And Oly
could quote them in their ads.

Winsor

>Ingmar
>
>turn that the other way, richard is in favor of the advertising even before
>any improvements, i am in favor of new developments that should be
>eventually advertised. this makes a whole lot of difference at least to me.
>i would say the word is R&D then advertising.
>
>francis
>
>Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:
>
>> Richard,
>>
>> I think both you and francis dayrit are right in your own way. I think
>> what Francis meant was that Olympus and Zuiko must make themselves known
>> to people out there. Today the cameras to buy are Canon, Minolta, Pentax
>> and Nikon. If you have one of these cameras you are "in" (cool, hip,
>> professional, whatever). But if you own an OM... ("What is Olympus? A
>> dish?".)
>> What I basically mean, is that Olympus must once again make themselves
>> known to people. If not the OM system will just be a memory of old days.
>> (Ask a teenager (the future potential buyers) if they ever heard of OM,
>> you will then know what I mean.) And if not, they will NEVER be able to
>> start competing the systems of today and they have to stick to the
>> compact and digital line.
>> The word is: advertising.
>>
>> --
>> Regards/