Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:19:27 +0200
fdayrit@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Olympus is in a difficult situation with the OM system since I would
> think that coming out with a new SLR at this time is not only risky
> but extremely expensive.

Sounds resonable

> To revive the OM system means not only
> designing new cameras but also upgrading and designing new lenses and
> accessories.

First it would need some advertisement, to let people know, that the OM
system is alive and feater an greater aray of equipment than Contax,
Leica or some mayor AF manufactors.

> I think, olympus would know what to do at this time
> because they are the ones who know what the results of the
> introduction of the OM2000.

I think the introducing of the OM-3Ti and 35-80mm/2.8 Zuiko was more
costly than to buy a Cosina with OM mount.

> In terms of cameras, i think that the OM3/4 are ripe for upgrades. For
> me these are minimal but would greatly enhance it's appeal. ...

Your sugestions will mean a complete new design of the cameras, not
"minimal changes".

> first of
> all, they should try to add an aperture info window in the viewfinder.

How should they do that?

> For the OM4, a program mode with possibilities of
> improved flash performance with spot metering with flash.
> Possibly
> matrix metering just to attract more people to the system.

You mean an switch-off-your-brain mode?

> An even more
> improved spot metering system with a smaller area spot.

Smaller? This would make aiming much more difficult or did you think,
that 20f the image size is to large?

> In terms of a new camera, if they were to implement the above
> suggestions, the only thing that they would have to make is a flagship
> camera that is in the vein of the Contax RTS or Nikon F5. take your
> pick. this will be more a system enhancer than a real seller.

So you want to force Olympus to produce a faty expensiv camera just to
impress the people (the N*k*n owning coleague?), but you are not willing
to buy one?

> As for lenses, most of the work that they have to do is mostly in the
> telephoto and zoom arena. A few APO lenses would greatly enhance the
> systems appeal. probobly upgrade the 180mm, 300 4.5 and 400 mm to APO
> with bigger opening for the 300 and the 400.

Do you own already the 180mm/2.0, 250mm/2.0 and 350mm/2.8? To expensiv
or not good enough? Quality seems not to be the problem, this lenses are
considered as some of the best avaible.
How much, do you think, will new moderate fast tele lenses cost? Look at
the pricelists of the big AF three. Each of them has biger lens sales
than Olympus, but this lenses are still expensiv, so most consumer buy
crapy xx-300mm zooms.

To APO: Buy an Sigma APO SD XL HX ZEN Series13 CD TRI CAM 20-400mm all
plastic lens and be lucky.

> But not to price them out
> of this Galaxy.

Are you willing to subsidize Olympus?

> Upgrade the 24 and 35 mm shift lenses to have tilt
> capability would be great.

Both lense are not expensiv enough?

> update and further enhance the optical
> performance of their 49mm front thread series.  i have heard that
> olypmus is erratic in terms of the lens performance. they should
> dispell this notion and only produce toprate lenses that nobody can
> question.

Where did you hear that and which lenses are, acording to you, not top
of the notch lenses?

> As for new lenses, a rectilinear lens in the 14mm range. a really fast
> 35mm(F 1.4) and 85 or 100mm lens ( F 1.4 --1.8).

Do you urgent wait for one, or do you wait for them to show up in the
used cameras window? I´m shure I couldn´t afford on 85mm/1.4. The
100mm/2.0 is not bright enough? You want an 105mm/1.8? Buy an Nikkor, to
say, hey my lens is 1/3 stop faster and fully 50nger. :-)) Size
matters, for some...

> A few zoom lenseswould also be nice.
> One in the 28-35mm to 125-150mm range with a F4
> opening. and a few F2.8 zooms in the 80-200 range (a 2.8 65-200 would
> be great). and two wide to normal range zooms would be appreciated.

Do you have already the 35-80mm/2.8 zoom? To expensiv? How much do you
think this lenses will cost? (I´m starting to repeat myself)

> There are a lot of other things that sold be added, but a careful
> implementation is what is essential here. they don't have to do
> everything at the same time, just perfectly timed.

Thanks, and I thought your modest list needs some additions.

Richard