Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 20:36:48 +0200

fdayrit@xxxxxxx wrote:

> my problem with the above lenses is that they are just way too expensive. it
> will
> not  be cost effectiv e for them to advertise them because the market for
> these
> lenses is too small.

Hmm, you got a point there... Normally prices fall when a product are produced
in a
high volume. I don't know if this can be the same for lenses, it should be
though. Do
you or any one else know if these lenses where made in a large number or if it
was not?
I am thinking of the relation to the price.

> i just hope that they start doing something soon, because as Denton rightly
> pointed
> out, there is a recession in asia, and, Japan is at the head of it. i'm from
> the
> Philippines and should have realized this. given this situation, i think we
> should
> not hope too much that there will be any dramatic development in the OM
> system for
> a while, if ever.

"If ever" sounds dramatic yet realistic. After all, as Denton Taylor says, it
has been
many years ago since a new product was produced by Olympus (regarding the OM
system).
Today Olympus seem to be clearly heading for the digital and compact's, they
seem to
believe the future leis in this area and perhaps they are right. After all,
they are a
leading company in this area of photographic products and it would cost them a
lot of
money and time to more or less restart in the traditional camera line. While
some other
producers never stopped their development and kept their name in peoples mind,
Olympus
must work very hard to catch up, and that will cost a lot!

--
Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen