Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping OM alive
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:44:45 -0400
>>I doubt, that a Contax is now a mass sale product, more like Leica, a
sophistocated niche product and a "Daddy" camera (no insult to all
Daddys and to you Denton), this is the direction Olympus has to go.
I personaly would like, that Olympus will keep a more younger image,
like Zipo has done with there old fashioned lighters. >>

I'd prefer to call them 'doctor' cameras <g>. Bought often, like Leicas, by
well-off folk who like the 'feel' of top-notch equipment, and the snob
appeal to go with it. Which is not to deny that Contax/Leica/Zeiss are
superb picture-taking machines.

Olympus is finished as a mass-market marque. As you (obliquely) suggest
when you mention the re-introduction of older lens designs, their only hope
would be to join the ranks of 'daddy' cameras. And it's highly unlikely
that will happen for any number of reasons.

No doubt there are those in the Olympus company that feel strongly about
keeping the OM heritage alive. I would suggest that the introduction of the
35-80 2.8 zoom was a sop to that faction, as well as a trial balloon. The
OM-lovers at Oly sure lost... How many folk on the list own this lens?
Three? Of those, how many bought it new? One? Don't expect Olympus to
support you if you will not support Olympus!

Oly cannot recapture the high-volume market, nor can they capture the
'doctor' market. With the terrible recession underway in Japan, don't
expect to see much risk-taking.

>>I guess many, me included, like to take advantage of the unfaithfull,
who sell there Olympus gems cheaply, instead of buying new goods from
Olympus.>>

Exactly my point above.

Contax is releasing a new body every two years. I hope to be the first in
the 'hood to own an Aria, and will issue a full report, but I suggest that
it is what an OM5 should have been. (BTW, B&H will be hosting an Aria demo
on Monday, 6/15, if anyone is in NY).

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com