Re: [OM] Yellow Flowers [was The enduring appeal of GAS and What is this

Subject: Re: [OM] Yellow Flowers [was The enduring appeal of GAS and What is this beastie?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 21:51:25 -0700
On 6/23/2022 9:41 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Pardon the music industry side-hustle brain fog, but my barely
skimming of posts caught this thread and it's of a lot of interest and
frustration to me.

Based on a recommendation by His Mooseness, I generally dial -0.3 in
on every m43 camera as well as the A7ii.

I'm a -2/3 guy, in outdoor daylight.

This has worked exceptionally
well for me and that 1/3 of a stop is exactly what I need in Lightroom
to give me the highlight contour I need.

However, when it comes to flowers, and LED lighting... Oh my...

What I've found is the closer the subject color is to the RGB sensor
colors, the more likely I'm going to get extremely offputting
saturation and unusable pictures. Especially in the reds. I've had to
exposure-compensate as much as -2.0 stops on tulips and roses if they
are in sunlight.

Is here an echo in here?

This isn't a metering issue, as I know how to meter.
This is a Bayar array issue and how the whole base algorithm works.

And another.
Thanks.

Which leads to a twist. Not all raw file converters are created equal
in this regard. Silkypix is the only converter I've used that will
maintain the needed separations in the flower pictures far longer.
Instead of -2.0 stops, Silkypix can give the same results when the
source image was shot at around -0.7.

But, one must use SilkyPix. And pay for it, for Oly files. And work in a strange place, with my good hand tied behind my back. 😉

It interests me that simply shooting at - 2 EV is somehow less pure and acceptable than
using an unfamiliar converter. 😁

Don't ask about Canon images.

Don't care, so won't ask.

E.V. Moose